Old Rivarossi Motors E626 & B&O Series 1

Regole del forum
Rivarossi-Memory.it
"E' il link del bellissimo sito dedicato alla storia della vecchia Rivarossi.
Già da tempo in contatto con loro, abbiamo insieme deciso di creare una sezione del forum dedicata al loro sito.
Naturalmente per prima cosa, per chi non l'avesse ancora fatto, vi consiglio di andare a visitare il sito http://www.rivarossi-memory.it e di studiarlo per bene visto che contiene buona parte della storia del fermodellismo Italiano per poi venire qui e parlarne con noi e con loro!
Vi aspettiamo numerosi!!!
Lo staff di ferramatori.it e di rivarossi-memory.it"

Old Rivarossi Motors E626 & B&O Series 1

Messaggioda Nukem001 » 29 mag 2010, 16:42

Hi Gianni,
Perhaps you may be able to help me. In view of the difficulties with the translation between English and Italian I hope you will forgive me writing in English as some of the issues are technical and will most probably get lost in translation.
I have recently purchased a new spare motor for my Series 1 B&O Steam Locomotive which has the spur gear arrangement and brush gear in the horizontal arrangement. It is clear that these odl motors are difficult to obtain as I have been trying to purchase spares for sometime, as registered previously on Rivarossi Memory. Giorgio provided me with Giorgio Tanzi's address and I subsequently made contact and he pleasingly provided me with a motor assembly and a new set of wheels. What is intersesting is that the gear ratios on this motor is completely different to the other motors in my possesion. I have counted the number of teeth on the spur gear arrangement on my other Locomotives and appear so different in comparisson.
If I may give a comparisson. My original motors are as follows:-
Armature gear 7T Main Drive Sprocket 54T Final Drive to Wheels 16T and Wheels 34T
Giorgio Tanzi's Motor :-
Armature gear 6T Main Drive Sprocket 32T Final Drive to Wheels 17T and Wheels 34T
If my calculatons are correct one motor gives a ratio of 16.4 :1 and the other 10.6 :1
Do you know anyone who may give me an answer to this situation. The second motor may be a later version. Does anyone own any of the original Rivarossi drawings and sizes of this gear arrangement as I am pursuing having some sprockets made in the UK therefore I need to know precise details of measurement and material.

Regards Howard
Nukem001

Re: Old Rivarossi Motors E626 & B&O Series 1

Messaggioda Talgo49 » 30 mag 2010, 23:02

Hi Howard, you are opening an interesting point, I hope that some super expert may help you. Anyway here is the translation of your post.

L'amico Howard mi chiede di tradurre il suo messaggio, cosa che faccio volentieri sperando di non sbagliare:

"Ho acquistato di recente un nuovo motore di ricambio per la mia locomotiva a vapore B&O Prima Serie dotata di struttura con ingranaggio di rinvio e collettore delle spazzole orizzontale. È chiaro che questi vecchi motori sono difficili da trovare visto che ho cercato di comprare parti di ricambio per un bel po', come dimostrato in precedenza su Rivarossi Memory. Giorgio mi ha fornito l'indirizzo di Giorgio Tanzi che io ho poi contattato e che mi ha cortesemente fornito un gruppo motore ed un nuovo set di ruote. Ciò che è interessante è che il rapporto di trasmissione di questo motore è completamente diverso da quello degli altri motori in mio possesso. Ho contato il numero di denti del gruppo ingranaggi delle mie altre locomotive e sembrano molto diversi in confronto. Se posso fare un paragone. I miei motori originali sono come segue:
Ingranaggio del rotore 7 denti, ingranaggio di rinvio principale 54 denti, trasmissione finale alle ruote 16 denti e ruote 34 denti.
Il motore di Giorgio Tanzi:
Ingranaggio del rotore 6 denti, ingranaggio di rinvio principale 32 denti, trasmissione finale alle ruote 17 denti e ruote 34 denti.
Se i miei calcoli sono corretti un motore ha un rapporto finale di 16,4:1 e l'altro di 10,6:1.
Conoscete qualcuno che possa dare una risposta a questa situazione? Il secondo motore può essere di una versione più tarda. Qualcuno possiede dei disegni originali Rivarossi e le dimensioni di questo gruppo di trasmissione dato che stò cercando qualcuno qui in GB che possa fabbricare alcuni ingranaggi e pertanto ho bisogno di conoscere dettagli precisi sulle misure e il materiale?

Saluti, Howard"
Through the Rockies, not around them
Talgo49

Moderatore Globale

Messaggioda Massimo » 31 mag 2010, 11:30

Su HOrr - n.12, febbraio 1956 - apparve un articolo, di ACU., sulla velocità dei modelli; si osservava come i modelli RR avessero velocità molto più simili al vero, rapportati in scala, che i modelli concorrenti coevi e si osservava come questo contribuisse ad aumentare il verismo dei plastici e dei treni.
Era infatti luogo comune produrre modelli dalla velocità molto alta, per vederli schizzare sulle rotaiette, addirittura come valore qualitativo.
Ipotizzo che la B&O fosse "incorsa" (6) in questa operazione correttiva.
Massimo

Moderatore Globale

Messaggioda Nukem001 » 2 giu 2010, 22:31

Thank You Gianni, for your help in translation. Massimo has given me an understanding of why the the ratios were changed to bring the locomotive speed relative with scale. This must mean that the motor I received from Giorgio Tanzi must be the first motor produced of this design. This would mean that a Locomotive fitted with this type of motor would travel approximatly 64% faster than that of the second series, on the basis the armature was designed to rotate at the same speed. This intrigues me as the first Rivarossi model Locomotive my Father bought for me in 1952 was an E626 with what I now understand to be the second series motor. Perhaps Giorgio Tanzi may be able to fully unravel the problem, unfortunately he does not have an email address. The reason I am investigating these details, is because I am considering getting some spare parts made in the UK and I need to know the precise information e.g. specific diameters of the gearing, thicknesses and specifically the brass alloys used. Someone must have copies of the original drawings; if only we could find out who.
Please see attachments of Armatures and associated gears and note the difference in the number of teeth on compound gears and initial armature drive gearing.

Howard
Nukem001

Torna a Rivarossi - Memory